I must say I did not know all those crazy pointless facts in the "Did You Know? 3.0 - A John Strange 2012 Version" Stuff like the numbers of videos uploaded to Youtube daily and the fact that 93% of 8-18 years old had a computer in the home. I do believe the statistic is true but I'm sure that number does not mean 93% of 8-18 year old's are sitting at home on the computer or that the computer has internet even. My house was one of those statistics but I can not remember one time from the age 8-16 being on the computer at home. So what is this statistic even proving?! That technology is growing?! Well so is education, science, and mankind so I'd suppose that's a good thing.
I know how to use technology very well, and it may be everywhere but I do not think I have to know everything about technology to be a great Educator. I also do not think technology HAS to be used in the classroom. I'm sure I will use technology in my classroom but not excessively and not mandatory. I believe in personal interaction and problem solving over e-mailing or using Google to find answers.
Mr. Winkle Wakes
I agree with Mr. Winkle that technology has grown so much in the last 100 years, but I do not think that my schooling was "boring" or I did not learn as much due to not having technology. I remember looking up research papers and just general information via dictionaries, encyclopedias and books, I also remember not getting internet at my house until I was a freshman in high school. I think having internet and having students do research papers via the web provides more room for plagiarism. There are sites that can prevent that such as Turnitin.com but I just think that back when you were suppose to read actual books for the information, they did.
The classroom has changed a lot, but unless I am teaching a computer class I do not plan on having each child have a personal computer, Ipod, Ipad or any of those things. It is good for them to know how to use them yes, but that can be up to their parents and life outside of school. I guess you could say I am old fashion but we all have our own ways of learning which would then make us have our own ways or teaching.
Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
I think that Sir Ken Robinson has some very good points. I do agree that we are born with creativity it is just up to us to keep it to adult hood. And I also think that schools are taking away from children's creativity. If a child is not doing what you (the teacher, or administration) wants then it is "wrong" or need to be fixed as if something is wrong. His definition of creativity is great "process of having original ideas that have value." I also love when Mr. Robinson fights for dance in schooling. I strongly agree I think that dance is a good form of art and I think it school be offered an an elective just as art and music are. Also how he talked about the little girl that he mother thought something was wrong with her because she could not sit still to learn. I am the same way and that is also probably why I am a dancer. I learn better by being up and being active and there is nothing wrong with that, and I hate that people think that there is and the immediate reaction is to take them to the doctor and get them on medication. This is why children's creativity is dying!! Intelligence is 3 things diverse, dynamic, and distinct as Robinson says and I agree they are all good points. Very good speaker and I love how he uses humor to keep the audience alive and I think puts things in prospective for them.
A Day Made of Glass
The Glass technology was pretty cool I'd have to say but I see technology fail daily. I would not trust that technology at a doctor's surgery table if it glitches in the middle of that who know what would happen. I would also not depend on it for my classroom. If it was available to me in my class room I would use it for certain projects but not an everyday thing because you would have to have a back up for if a server goes down or anything like that, which happen quit often.
"The classroom has changed a lot, but unless I am teaching a computer class I do not plan on having each child have a personal computer, Ipod, Ipad or any of those things." In an increasing number of school districts (including Baldwin County) you will have no choice unless you put the technology on a shelf like Mr. Winkle found it in the school he entered.
ReplyDeleteThe statistics you referred to (you called them "crazy pointless facts") are important in understanding what your students will be used to using in their daily lives. It is my argument that you will not be able to keep them from using their technologies and you must figure out a way to use the technology as teaching and learning devices rather than for entertainment. We shall continue to explore these questions throughout the semester.
You and Mr. Winkle would be friends!
Well written.